Student Conference and Competition 2019
“Giving Back Through FCS” student conference was held Friday April 12, 2019 at San Francisco State University. It was financially supported by the CA-AFCS Extended Education Fund and organized by Dr. Gus Vouchilas. Congratulations to the following winners of the competition who submitted posters illustrating what Giving Back Through FCS meant to them:
- Forum Doshi, San Francisco State University: Creating Awareness on the Importance of Sustainability Amongst the Youth
- Amanda Paiz, CSU Long Beach: Giving Back to Older Adult Cambodian Refugees in Long Beach, CA
- Katie Her (Yee), Jamie Perry, and Jennifer Segura, CSU Sacramento: Homelessness
The conference was attended by over 75 students and professionals from CSU Long Beach, Sacramento, and San Francisco. Four FCS professionals dedicated to enhancing community vitality and overall quality of life, key FCS concepts, spoke at the conference.
- Rebecca Cahua, from Designing a Difference, spoke about how her non-profit is helping both the San Francisco apparel manufacturing industry and the homeless who work at the non-profit.
- George Brazil, co-owner of SagreraBrazil Design, spoke about their work including designing the Ronald McDonald House.
- Mona Klein, a legislative liaison for the FCS Teachers Association of California, talked about her teaching career and opportunities at the secondary level.
- Alicia Connor, a registered dietitian nutritionist, spoke about her YouTube series, Quick and Delish by Alicia Connor, simplifying healthy cooking.
Attendees had an opportunity to speak with students who submitted posters for the competition which included PowerPoint slides expressing what Giving Back Though FCS meant to them. Thanks to those on the Committee: Ameera Taleb, Michael Martin, Dr. Gus Vouchilas, Dr. Amy Dorie, Dr. Gretchen George, and Dr. Nancy Rabolt.
Student Leadership Conference 2017
For a written report of the 2017 Conference: April 29, 2017